Making a complaint

About your NHS care

You should first raise your complaint with the organisation where you were treated. If you’re not happy with the response of this organisation after you have contacted them, or don’t feel comfortable approaching them, you can make your complaint to NHS Scotland, who will look into it for you.

If you’re unhappy with the NHS response you can refer your complaint to the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman (SPSO). They will look at your complaint and decide whether to investigate it. 

About your private care

You should complain about your private care to Healthcare Improvement Scotland.

Getting help with your complaint

  • The Patient Advice and Support Service (part of the Scottish Citizen’s Advice Bureau) offers free and confidential information, advice and support to anyone who uses the NHS in Scotland. Find the contact details of your nearest PASS bureau or call 0800 917 2127.
  • If you need information or advice about your rights in relation to mental health care and treatment, or you are concerned about someone else's rights and welfare, you may wish to contact the Mental Welfare Commission for Scotland They can be reached on 0131 313 8777. There is also a freephone number, 0800 389 6809, for service users and carers only.

Raising your concern with the GMC

Visit our concerns tool if you are still unsure whether your complaint is something we can investigate.