Northern Ireland

Making a complaint

About your HSC care

If you’re not happy with the response of the local organisation, or don’t feel comfortable approaching them, you can make your complaint to NI Direct, who will look into it for you.

If you’re unhappy with the HSC response

You can refer your concern to the Northern Ireland Ombudsman. They will look at your complaint and decide whether to investigate it. 

About your private care

You should make a complaint about your private care to the Regulation and Quality Improvement Authority.

Getting help with your complaint

Raising your concern with the GMC

Visit our concerns tool if you are still unsure whether your complaint is something we can investigate.