Support we can offer you

Reasonable adjustments

We know that the experience of being a witness and giving evidence at our hearings can be a daunting experience. It can be even harder if you have a disability, a medical condition, or you experience difficulty in social situations.

If the allegations are of a sexual nature and you are the alleged victim or you feel intimidated for any reason, we know this can also make giving evidence more difficult.

If you’re worried about giving evidence, please tell us as soon as possible. We can try to make adjustments to assist you or see if any special measures (eg screens or video link) can be put in place to help you give evidence.

If you'd prefer to communicate in a language other than English, we can arrange for an interpreter to attend. Let us know as soon as possible if this is the case.

The Witness Support Service

Our witness service provides dedicated support for people who have made a complaint to the GMC or who may be asked to give evidence to a hearing.  

It is a confidential, free service run by volunteers from the charity Victim Support.  

You can access support from the service at any time before, during or after attending a hearing.

The witness service can offer:

  • telephone support
  • home visits or face to face support in your local community
  • an opportunity to talk to someone confidentially about how you are feeling
  • help to understand what happens during an investigation
  • an opportunity to visit the MPTS before the day you are due to give evidence
  • an independent supporter who can accompany you on the day and be in the room while you give evidence
  • practical assistance to make sure the GMC and the MPTS are aware of what you need to enable you to attend the hearing
  • signposting to other organisations that can provide further support.

Witness Support Service volunteers are not qualified to provide professional counselling or legal advice. They are also not allowed to discuss the evidence.

If you would like to use this service you can ask your solicitor to make a referral. Or you can contact the service yourself by calling 0161 200 1956 or emailing