Patient with complex needs - case study
- You’re a foundation year two doctor.
- You’ve just begun a three-month rotation on an elderly medicine unit.
- Your patient is Mr Singh, a 75-year-old man with pneumonia.
- Two years ago, Mr Singh had a left-sided cerebral infarct. This left him with right-sided weakness, dysphasia and some difficulty with swallowing.
- His wife has cared for him at home since his stroke.
- This is his second episode of pneumonia in the last six months and it’s thought that these episodes are due to aspiration of food.