In line with UK government advice, we have cancelled all Welcome to UK practice workshops. We'll continue to monitor the situation and update this page with the latest information. If you'd like any help in the meantime, please get in touch.
Welcome to UK practice workshops
What does the workshop cover?
We cover different aspects of our guidance, including consent, confidentiality, raising concerns, care for children and young people, and prescribing.
Below is what a typical Welcome to UK practice workshop will involve.
- Welcome and introduction to the GMC and how we can help you
- An introduction to our guidance and learning resources
- ‘Hello my name is…’ – getting to know each other
- What makes a good doctor?
- Doctors share their experience of starting out in UK practice and learn about the duties of a doctor in the UK
- Ethical scenarios. What would you do in this situation? How can our guidance help you?
Who are the workshops for?
All doctors who have gained their primary medical qualification outside of the UK. We welcome doctors from all grades and specialties and have delivered workshops to both small groups and larger ones.
The ideal time for doctors to attend is before they start practice, or soon after. We find that doctors who attend in their first year of practice are likely to get most benefit.