Professor Sir Terence Stephenson joined us as Council Chair in 2015.
His role as Chair is to:
- Provide leadership to the Council
- Preside over Council meetings
- Ensure the we are efficient and effective
- Engage with ministers, medical profession leaders and patient groups
- Act as our ambassador
The Chair also works closely with the Chief Executive and the Senior Management Team in all aspects of the role.
Terence studied medicine at Oxford Medical School and still practices. He specialises in paediatric medicine and paediatric emergencies. He is currently Nuffield Professor of Child Health at the Institute of Child Health at University College London.And he also an Honorary Consultant Paediatrician at UCL Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, and Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children NHS Foundation Trust.
- Chair of the Academy of Medical Royal Colleges
- President of the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health
- Dean of the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences at the University of Nottingham
- Member of GMC Council between 2009 and 2012