Equality, diversity and inclusion
We believe equality, diversity and inclusion are critical to being an effective regulator and employer.
- We act on the equality, diversity and inclusion issues associated with delivering our Corporate Strategy.
- We discharge our regulatory activities fairly.
- We help identify, understand and address inequalities for doctors and patients in the wider healthcare systems.
- We become an inclusive organisation.
As a public sector organisation, we must meet the requirements of equality and human rights law. These are the Equality Act 2010, the public sector Equality Duty, and the Human Rights Act 1998. You can find more information on these from the Equality and Human Rights Commission or Government Equalities Office.
We also regulate medical education, training and practice in Northern Ireland. The Equality Act does not apply in Northern Ireland. But similar equalities legislation applies, which we support through our regulatory activities.
How we make reasonable adjustments
We try to meet the needs of diverse groups and take steps to make it easier for them to engage with us. We have a reasonable adjustments policy which explains how we make adjustments for disabled people. We also provide information in other languages and in easy read.
Working with others
We are proud to be members of diversity organisations. They provide their expertise to help us improve our equality, diversity and inclusion activities. Examples include:
- Employers Network for Equality and Inclusion
- Business Disability Forum
- Business in the Community – Race for Opportunity and Opportunity Now campaigns
- Stonewall Diversity Champions.
We value the views of our stakeholders and use their insights and expertise to inform our work. Examples of the organisations that we have worked with include:
- Gender Identity Research and Education Society
- Reache (Refugee and Asylum Seekers Centre for Healthcare Professionals Education) North West
- RAGU (Refugee Assessment and Guidance Unit)
- MWF (Medical Women's Federation)
- DIMAH (Diversity in Medicine and Health)
- Equality Challenge Unit.
Black and Minority Ethnic Doctors Forum
We also have a Black and Minority Ethnic (BME) Doctors Forum. The forum helps us make sure our regulatory work responds to the needs of BME doctors practising in the UK.