Improving understanding of healthcare environments
In 2018, we commissioned three independent reviews as part of a major programme of work to:
- improve understanding of healthcare environments and the impact of system pressures on doctors and patient care
- help develop our regulatory approach, from acting when things have already gone wrong, to supporting the profession to deliver good care
- respond to concerns that were raised with us following the tragic death of Jack Adcock and the criminal conviction of Dr Hadiza Bawa-Garba for gross negligence manslaughter
We published the findings of each review in 2019.
The data, research and recommendations at the heart of all three reviews helped us to develop our:
- ten-year vision
- 2021-25 corporate strategy
- work to promote equality, diversity and inclusion and regulatory fairness across everything we do
We also used the key findings and examples of best practice in our ongoing engagement with organisations at a local, regional and national level in all four countries of the UK. Many of the themes and recommendations have been subsequently embedded throughout major national strategies, such NHS workforce and people plans.