- GMC guidance - Consent: patients and doctors making decisions together (pdf)
- GMC guidance: Treatment and care towards the end of life: good practice in decision making (pdf)
- BMA toolkit designed to raise awareness of the Mental Capacity Act and help you in good decision making for people who lack mental capacity.
England & Wales
- DNACPR decisions: who decides and how? is a web resource for doctors involved in CPR decisions, emphasising the principles of partnership and shared decision making.
- Patient Decision Aids developed by NHS England offering practical help in improving patients’ ability to make their own choices.
- Mental Capacity Act 2005 (England and Wales)
- MCA Code of Practice
- The Foundation for People with Learning Disabilities guidance: Whose Decision? Preparation for and implementation of the Mental Capacity Act in statutory and non-statutory services in England and Wales
- Assessing Mental Capacity website
- British Psychological Society Best Interests: Guidance on determining the best interests of adults who lack the capacity to make a decision (or decisions) for themselves (pdf)
- Reference Guide for Consent to Examination or Treatment (2008), Welsh Assembly Government
- CQC’s role advising on Deprivation of Liberty decisions
- HIW’s role on advising on Deprivation of Liberty safeguards
- Welsh Government site – Making decisions: a selection of guides to help you understand Mental Capacity Act 2005
- All Wales DNA CPR form – for use in Community settings and supplementary guidance
- Social care institute for excellence - Information, guidance and accredited training for care and health staff to support, protect and empower people who may lack capacity.
- Adults with Incapacity (Scotland) Act 2000 (Scotland)
- Adults with Incapacity (Scotland) Act 2000: Code of Practice (Third Edition): For Practitioners Authorised to Carry Out Medical Treatment or Research under Part 5 of the Act Scotland
- Scottish Government guidance - A Good Practice Guide on Consent for Health Professionals in NHS Scotland (2006) (pdf)
- BMA guidance - Medical treatment for adults with incapacity: guidance on ethical and medico-legal issues in Scotland (2009)
- Scottish Government guidance - Adults with Incapacity (Scotland) Act 2000: A Guide to Communication and Assessing Capacity Scotland for social work and healthcare staff (pdf)
- Mental Welfare Commission for Scotland good practice guidance on Working with the Adults with Incapacity Act
- NHS Scotland DNACPR Policy
- PAMIS (Profound and Multiple Disabilities Scotland): Invasive Procedures - minimising risks, maximising rights