Medical Licensing Assessment
We're developing plans to establish a UK-wide Medical Licensing Assessment (MLA).
What is the Medical Licensing Assessment?
We've defined the aim of the MLA as:
- to create a single, objective demonstration that those applying for registration with a licence to practise medicine in the UK can meet a common threshold for safe practice.
Give your views
We’re consulting on plans to establish the MLA and want to hear your views.
The consultation is open until 30 April 2017. If you have an interest in medical education and practice, we’re keen to find out what you think about the proposals.
>>Take part in the consultation
What will happen next?
We’ll consider all the responses to the consultation and prepare a report on our findings. This report will be considered by our Council – our governing body – along with recommendations on the way ahead.
Subject to the outcome of this consultation and Council’s view, we envisage developing detailed plans with experts and partners. We would then pilot the assessment extensively with a view to implementing the MLA fully in 2022.
Find out more on the MLA consultation pages or email us at email@example.com.
Read our FAQs for further information about the MLA.
We are keen to work with our key partners and those with an interest in this area to further develop our thinking and shape the assessment. To help achieve this we have a comprehensive engagement programme, which includes:
- the public consultation on our plans, seeking views from all those with an interest in this area including patients and members of the public
- visiting every medical school in the UK to seek views on our early thinking
- detailed discussions with partners and Government officials from the four nations of the UK
- an expert reference group chaired by Professor Neil Johnson (who also chairs the Medical Schools Council Assessment Alliance) to help develop the format of the assessment
- workshops with UK medical school assessment experts, international experts and panellists for the Professional and Linguistic Assessments Board (PLAB) test
- consulting our Education and Training Advisory Board and Assessment Advisory Board
- commissioning and analysing external research; and drawing on evidence from jurisdictions running medical licensing assessments - eg in the USA, Canada, Switzerland, Poland and Japan
- developing a reference community of individuals who are interested in this project – contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to join this community.
As we work to develop proposals for a Medical Licensing Assessment, we are producing a range of materials to support our engagement and evidence gathering.
We will regularly update and add to these materials: