Working with doctors Working for patients

Applying for registration with a licence to practise – for nationals from the EEA, Switzerland and other doctors with EC rights, who graduated at EEA or Swiss medical schools and have not completed an internship

We’ve made an important change to the way doctors can use their provisional registration (PR). From 1 April 2015, the length of time doctors are allowed to hold provisional registration is limited to a maximum of three years and 30 days.

We strongly recommend that you make your application three months before you plan to start work in case we need you to give us more evidence which can take time to assess. You’ll have three months to submit your application from when you start it online. If you have not submitted your application after three months you will have to start a new one. Instructions on setting up your online account are given at the end of this guidance.

This page is to help doctors who:

  • Are a national of a member state of the EEA or Switzerland or a doctor with European Community rights (opens in a new window)


  • Have qualified at a medical school in an EEA country (but not the United Kingdom) or Switzerland


  • Have NOT completed an internship.

If you have not completed an internship you will be eligible for provisional registration with a licence to practise.

If you are applying for provisional registration with a licence to practise please read the important information about provisional registration.

Your next steps

  • Read this guidance (11 pages)
  • Set up an online account
  • Log in, complete your application and pay your fee
  • Send copies of your supporting documentary evidence by post
  • Visit one of our offices for an identity check

There is more information about these steps on the following pages of this guidance.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
  • 11