This guidance provides information for doctors about our pre-registration identity checks.
- 1. Introduction
- 2. Evidence of identity
- 3. Evidence retained by the GMC
- 4. Other evidence requested
- 5. Applying for registration with a licence to practise or restoration following a period outside medical practice or medical practice outside the UK
- 6. When and where will these checks take place?
- 7. Can I go to another GMC office?
Identity checking was introduced in response to the UK's growing problem with identity theft. It is just one of many initiatives the GMC has undertaken to improve the rigour of our registration processes. A photograph will be taken during your identity check and this will be made available to employers so that they can be assured of your identity when you start work. It will also help prevent anyone stealing your identity in the future. All applicants for registration with a licence to practise and restoration (following a period outside medical practice or in medical practice outside the UK) must complete an identity check.
2. Evidence of identity
You will need to present your current passport or if you are an EEA national your passport and/or national identity card (provided it clearly states your nationality). Please note that certified copies are not acceptable.
3. Evidence retained by the GMC
- Take and retain a photograph of you
- Take and retain a copy of your signature
- Hold details from your passport
- Disclose your photograph on request to employers and others (only for identity purposes)
4. Other evidence requested
You may also be asked to present the original versions of the supporting evidence that confirmed your qualifications, training and good standing for your application. Please note that you must present all requested documents before we can grant your application.
5. Applying for registration or restoration following a period outside medical practice in the UK
We appreciate that you may have previously held registration and that we may have your historical registration and licensing details. We will still require a photograph to be taken during your identity check although we may not request that you re-submit all of your supporting documents.
6. When and where will these checks take place?
When we have received your application and all the supporting evidence we need, we will write to you to invite you to attend an identity check. We cannot grant your application until we have completed this check. Please do not make an identity check appointment until you have received the letter asking you to book one. You can do this through GMC Online or by contacting us. We can complete an identity check at our London or Manchester offices.
You will need to attend an identity check within three months of your application being approved. If you have not attended an identity check within three months, we will not be able to grant your application. This is because your evidence will no longer be up to date. If this happens, you will need to complete a new application, including attending an identity check, before we can complete a grant of your application.
7. Can I go to another GMC office?
Unfortunately at the moment you can only complete an identity check at our London or Manchester offices.