Our approach to equality, diversity and human rights
We want to be a fair regulator, and fair employer. ‘We treat everyone fairly’ and ‘we are honest, and strive to be open and transparent’ are part of our organisational values.
Our equality and diversity strategy
Equality and diversity (E&D), and human rights, cuts across all of our work. Our Equality and Diversity Strategy (pdf) explains what we are doing to make sure that:
- we are a fair regulator
- we are a fair employer
- the people who come into contact with us feel confident that we are being fair in our work.
The strategy is also available in the following formats:
We are members of, and work with, a number of diversity organisations to help us to learn about best practice and to use this to improve our work. These organisations include:
How do we try to make sure that our work is fair to patients and the public?
Here are some examples of how we try to make sure that we are fair to patients and the public:
- We train our staff, and those delivering our work, to understand how to treat patients and the public fairly.
- Where we can, we will remove barriers, so that anyone who needs to contact us, can do so.
- We give doctors guidance so that they can provide good standards of care to diverse groups of patients.
- We get views from diverse groups of patients to help us develop our activities.
How do we try to make sure that our work is fair to doctors?
Here are some examples of how we try to make sure that we are fair to doctors.
- We continue our work to understand why particular groups of doctors are at more risk of being involved in our fitness to practise procedures.
- We will do more work to understand the diversity of the medical register, and use this information to see if there are any other trends for doctors in our activities.
- We get views from diverse groups of doctors to help us develop our activities.
- We train our staff, and those delivering our work, to understand how to treat doctors fairly.
How do we try to make sure that we are a fair employer?
For the people who work for us, or who want to work for us:
- We provide a fair, accessible and transparent recruitment process.
- We treat everyone who works for us fairly, and with dignity and respect.
- We want everyone who works for us to develop and progress.
Let us know what you think
If you would like to make a comment about these pages, or ask a question, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact us. Or you can fill in the form below.